NEWBURGH, NY. Norfolk Southern unveiled its maintenance program initiatives on December 15th, 2017. They are outlined below, by line.
-Northern Tier Line
1) add additional double track at Monroe, south of the station
2) extension of the siding at CP 26 (Craigville) south past the Moodna Secondary interlocking
3) reconfiguration of the Monroe Hub
4) new signals for 1) and 2), as well as the entire line.
5) Resurfacing of all crossings.
-Southern Tier Line
1) Addition of double track at Tuxedo, Salisbury Mills, and Middletown.
2) Evaluation of upgrading to welded rail and triple track addition at CP VALLEY.
3) Study of possible upgrading to new signals.
4) Resurfacing of some grade crossings.
5) addition of some new Control Points.
NS is also looking to personnel as they expand. These improvements come as traffic continues to surge on Norfolk Southern, causing capacity headaches, and would greatly benefit rail traffic on this major through route.